The satisfactory operation of the oily water separator (OWS) is dependent on the knowledge of the following:
- Design Factors: These include the basic working principle of the OWS and the enhancements made for the marine context.
- Operational factors: Operational Knowledge and correct operational procedures that are generic and not equipment specific.
- Bilge management: Efficient Bilge management and knowing what goes into your bilges and how it affects them.
- Care and Maintenance: The general care and maintenance required to keep the OWS running smoothly.
- Equipment-Specific Knowledge: There are numerous varieties of OWS in the market and each has its own peculiarities and problems. Knowledge of these will be beneficial.
- Crew Attitude and Aptitude: No matter what equipment is fitted on board it needs a correct operation and some training to run it optimally.
- Good Housekeeping: Last but not least, good housekeeping is essential for a cleaner engine room and to reduce the production of oily water to be treated.