The plate coolers are advantageous except for their cost. Nowadays, the expensive titanium plates in plate coolers are replaced by stainless steel and aluminium brass.
- They are smaller and lighter.
- No extra space is needed for overhaul.
- Plates can be added in pairs to increase capacity.
- Cleaning and maintenance are relatively simple.
- Turbulent flow reduces fouling.
- There is no limit to flow velocity.
- Each plate and the design of the gasket prevent the mixing of two liquids.
- The plates are available in different versions of trough geometry.
- Any leaks in the plates due to cracks are difficult to locate.
- Joints can deteriorate and may fail due to brittleness.
- Plates, made of titanium are expensive.
- Over-tightening can cause permanent damage to the plates.
- Gasketed plate heat exchangers cannot be used for high-pressure applications
- Have pressure and temperature limitation of 20 bars and 200 Deg C.
For Advanced Read, check out: