1. While operating the freshwater distillate pump for the first time, the distillate present should be discharged overboard the ship for a minimum of 30 minutes.
2. Fresh Water Generators should be stopped before the ship comes close to land, a port, or a river mouth. This is because the seawater in such locations may be contaminated with bacteria which can get mixed in the distillate generated by the machinery. There is hence a high chance that the Fresh Water Generator malfunctions when the ship is in the dirty sea.
3. The bottom blow valve should not be opened to restore atmospheric pressure in the evaporator. If this is done, seawater being used in the heater may be blown up and damage the deflector plates and other parts of the Fresh Water Generator.
4. For testing leakage in the evaporator, the vacuum gauge should be removed, or the main valve should be fully closed.
5. Before carrying out cleaning operations, the technician should carefully read and follow instructions as stated in the manuals provided by the manufacturer.
6. During cleaning and rinsing of the Fresh Water Generator, steam should not be used as the inside surface of the evaporator is covered with a coating material which can get ruined under the action of steam.
7. This coating material should be handled with a lot of care and should be washed off immediately if it comes in contact with the skin.
8. To avoid leakages, the bolts securing the tube plates should not be removed or loosened.
9. The FreshWater Generator should not be heated, and welding by an open flame has to be avoided to protect the coating present on the inside surfaces of the FreshWater Generator.
10. To move the Fresh Water Generator from one place to another, the lifting holes present on the top cover should be used with wires of sufficient weight carrying capacity as specified in the assembly outline drawings present onboard.
11. The FreshWater Generator can be damaged if it is run with a valve or cock in a closed position installed on the steam drain outlet line. Hence these should not be incorporated into the outlet steam drain line.