SART Requirements on-board Ships:
In addition to the above,
- SARTs should be placed in brackets on both sides of the ship, visible from the navigation bridge. They should be easy to bring to the lifeboats or liferafts.
- An alternate location for a radar transponder is a bracket in each survival craft if such location permits rapid replacement of the SARTs into any survival crafts that may be used in emergencies.
- The SART should be provided with a pole or other arrangement compatible with the antenna pocket in the survival craft to fulfill the required height of at least 1m above sea level.
- On ships carrying at least two radar transponders and equipped with free-fall lifeboats, one of the radar transponders should be stowed in a free-fall lifeboat, and the other located near the navigation bridge so it can be utilized on board and ready for transfer to any of the other survival craft.
- The SARTs should have waterproof markings with operational instructions, battery expiry date, and the ship’s name and call sign.